In recent years, I’ve begun to teach Heidegger regularly. My aim in this page is to eventually develop a section-by-section commentary on Being and Time for students. For the Fall 2020 semester, I will be posting individual commentaries for each of the opening sections of the book, with commentaries on larger groups of sections for later portions. I expect this to take a number of years, but the plan is to continually revise until eventually I will have written individual commentaries for all 83 sections of Being and Time.
Below, you’ll find the table of contents for Being and Time, to which I will add as I write commentaries. For each section or group of sections, you can click on its title to be taken to a web version of the commentary (if available), or on ‘PDF version’ to access a PDF. Please note that to keep the commentaries manageable, I’ve written each one in a way that presupposes you’ve read all the previous ones.
Feedback on any material here is very welcome, and can be submitted (preferable via email) by clicking the ‘contact’ link above.
- Exergue (PDF version)
- Introduction: Exposition of the Question of the Meaning of Being (PDF version)
- I. The Necessity, Structure, and Priority of the Question of Being (PDF version)
- II. The Twofold Task in Working Out the Question of Being. Method and Design of Our Investigation (PDF version)
- ¶5. The Ontological Analytic of Dasein as Laying Bare the Horizon for an Interpretation of the Meaning of Being in General
- ¶6. The Task of Destroying the History of Ontology
- ¶7. The Phenomenological Method of Investigation
- ¶8. Design of the Treatise